Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Southern Summer Staple: Peach Cobbler, Vegan Style

Mmm simmery goodness
That's right, which dessert is most likely to grace the tables all across the South during the summer? Peach Cobbler. It is the most requested dessert at my work. I see it on almost ever dessert menu in all the popular restaurants. It's a sure fire crowd pleaser. I didn't have to look far to find a vegan version of this classic recipe. The minute I finished baking the first batch, it was gone within the hour between my husband and myself. It was also the dessert my husband specifically requested for Father's Day as well. I am super lucky to live close to a bone fide peach orchard. They set the best peaches for baking aside and discount them (they're usually super ripe) so I can get more than enough, plus one to enjoy myself. I hands down believe that this version tastes better than the non-vegan version, but you'll just have to taste it to believe it.





Peach Cobbler
Recipe based on a peach cobbler recipe at VegWeb.com
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 cup sliced peaches (about 6 medium peaches)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegan butter
Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the peaches and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for one minute. Pour into an ungreased 2-quart casserole. Mix together the rest of the dry ingredients, then cut in the vegan butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by six spoonfuls (more or less) onto hot peach mixture. Bake until topping is golden brown – about 25-30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment