Sunday, June 26, 2011

Basil! Basil! Everywhere

My Sweet Basil Plant
My basil plant has just exploded this summer. I've got more basil than I know what to do with. I've been searching all over for simple, easy basil recipes to utilize what I've cultivated and by the time I turn around more basil has grown in it's place. Every spaghetti dinner I add basil to the sauce. I'm working up the desire to make home-made basil pesto. Did you know you can add basil to grilled cheese, hamburgers, any salad and even cupcakes? Yes cupcakes, but I haven't gotten adventurous enough to try that yet. The quickest, simplest and most delicious basil recipe that I have found this summer has been for a Tomato, Basil & Fresh Mozzarella Salad. Yes, yes, yes I know Mozzarella isn't Vegan, but it's the original combo and you can always omit the Mozzarella for your Vegan friends. :) This salad was so fresh, crisp and flavorful - perfectly paired with a pasta dinner and a glass of red wine. Bellissimo!

This salad didn't even last long enough for me to take a picture so here is the one from Myrecipes.com.


Ingredients:

  • Basil sauce:
  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1/3 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Salad:
  • 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices yellow tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
  • 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
  • To prepare basil sauce, cook 1 cup basil leaves in boiling water 15 seconds; drain. Plunge basil into ice water; drain and pat dry. Combine basil and broth in a blender; process until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 hours at room temperature. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Add vinegar and salt, stirring with a whisk.
  • To prepare salad, arrange yellow and red tomato slices alternately on a large platter. Drizzle with basil sauce; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Top with 1/2 cup sliced basil. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks like a great recipe! I'm adding that to my summer recipe box!

    ReplyDelete